Chickpea Ragout with Sausage
2 Tbs. olive oil
½ cup onion, diced
½ cup scallions, chopped
2 cups tomatoes, diced
1 Tbs. garlic, chopped
16 oz. canned chickpeas, drained
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/3 tsp. salt
1/3 tsp. black pepper
2-3 links any type of sausage
fresh parsley for garnishing
1. Sauté the onion and scallions in the olive oil for 2 to 3 minutes on medium-high heat.
2. Add to your pan the remaining ingredients except for the sausage and parsley.
3. Once the chickpea mixture starts to boil, cover the pan and boil on low for 15 minutes.
4. In the meantime, pan-fry the sausages until browned and cooked through.
5. After the 15 minutes are up, uncover the pan and boil on low for 3 minutes.
6. Stir the sausages in with the chickpea ragout and serve with parsley garnished on top.
Eat as is or over rice or pasta.
Adapted from Fast Food My Way by Jacques Pepin